Preparation and Planting your new rose
Planting instructions for new roses
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail." Benjamin Franklin
Select a sunny location with minimum 5 hours sun per day and away from invasive roots of trees.
Plant in well drained soil. Clay is great, especially when blended with quality compost.
1. Soak bare-rooted rose in seaweed solution for no longer than 24hrs prior to planting.
2. Dig a wide, rough-edged hole (75 x 75cms) and deep enough so that the bud union sits just above ground level.
3. Create a mound of friable soil mix at the base - fan the roots over the mound.
4. Backfill and firmly tamp soil around bud union
5. Water well (2 buckets) with seaweed solution (sachet supplied)
6. DO NOT FERTILISE until SPRING and DO NOT OVERWATER.
1. Soak the rose well before planting.
2. Dig a hole double the width of the pot and deeper than the potted rose.
4. Place rose is hole – no need to loosen roots
5. Make sure bud union is just above the existing soil level.
6. Water well (2 buckets) then pour over seaweed solution (sachet supplied)
7. DO NOT FERTILISE at planting and DO NOT OVERWATER.
Start organic rose management immediately after planting then monthly thereafter.
Fortnightly applications of seaweed solutions is highly recommended to help root development and vigour.
Mulch with lucerne, pea straw or a good pine bark - keep mulch 10cm away from stem.
Standard and Weeping Roses
It cannot be overstressed that to ensure the longevity of your standard roses, they must be securely staked - the bamboo stake which you buy with the rose is totally inadequate over the long term.
We use and recommend steel stakes! The stake should be 1.8 metres long which will allow between 20-30 cms of stake to protrude beyond the graft - very important when the head becomes established because it offers support, especially in high winds.
Staking standard and weeping roses should be done at the time of planting!!!! Don't make this very important task a 'gunna do' job because you cannot replace an established standard rose overnight.
Please heed this warning and factor the cost of the stakes into the total budget for your garden plans!
Besides, have you noticed how fabulous standard roses look in a garden where they've been beautifully staked? For a minor cost and effort, make your garden stand out and make people stop and take a second look … you'll love the results!
Let us help you design your rose garden. With our help, you can be assured that you'll get great results .. you'll get the right height, colour, fragrance and style of garden you want! It's truly easy - all we need are some dimensions, aspect, your likes and dislikes; photos of your house are helpful too!
For those who don't live close, you can contact us or post us all your details and we can consult with you to ensure you get 100% what you want!!!